Thursday, January 8, 2009

Band Profile: Dave Matthews Band

Has a band ever inspired you to bust out your air violin? Welcome to the jazz-acoustic-jam-rock world of Dave Matthews Band.


Artist: Dave Matthews Band

Genre: Acoustic Rock

Comparable to: Phish, Widespread Panic, Grateful Dead

First exposure: 1999. I was sharing a bedroom with my oldest brother, who upon returning from a DMB concert blasted "Before These Crowded Streets" at 8 a.m. the day after. I've been hooked ever since.

Albums:
Remember Two Things
Recently (EP)
Under the Table and Dreaming
Crash
*Before These Crowded Streets
Everyday
Busted Stuff
Stand Up
A whole ton of live albums

*My favorite album

My thoughts: I have two stickers on the back of my Toyota Tacoma: One oval "Y" for BYU, and one black and white "DMB" sticker. For a guy who hates bumper stickers, that should tell you something.

Dave Matthews Band is my absolute favorite. I've seen them 12 (one dozen) times in concert, and I own well over 100 CDs filled with DMB music (I used to be a tape trader... it's a part of my past few people know about).

As far as pure music is concerned, DMB demonstrates both passion and mastery. They love their art, and the fact that they have toured every single year since 1993 is pretty convincing evidence.

Their concerts are incredible. They play for hours, and can stretch a simple song into a full out jam lasting sometimes more than 20 minutes.

Some say they've hit their peak, but I continue to follow Dave Matthews Band with great interest.

Song Recommendations:
Crush - Before These Crowded Streets
Dancing Nancies - Under The Table and Dreaming
Warehouse - Under The Table and Dreaming
#41 - Crash
Lie in Our Graves - #41
Bartender - Busted Stuff
Fool To Think - Everyday

I love DMB, and you should too. If anyone is interested in building their own DMB collection and needs some suggestions please email me at inyourearsblog(at)gmail(dot)com.

3 comments:

Trav said...

not a fan. sorry.

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

you are the one that got me into dave. i love them. i love all the artistry and the variety of instruments used in their work. i was so bummed when they canceled their concert this year in UT. but obviously more bummed knowing a band member passed away.

i've seen them six times and every time i walk away loving life even more.

my favorites include: bartender, typical situation and a lot of stuff on the lilly white sessions.

Russ Nelson said...

Great band! I'm anxious to see what else is recommended.