Monday, June 15, 2009

Review: A Decade of Steely Dan

Have you ever bought an album not because you like the artist but because you should like them?

I don't know much about Steely Dan. I only knew one of their songs prior to this purchase, yet I felt strangely compelled to buy "A Decade of Steely Dan." I didn't ask questions, I just followed my instincts and closed the deal.

They seem like a solid band, right?

Now, two weeks later I've concluded that I made one of the best decisions of the month.

"A Decade of Steely Dan" is just dynamite. It's smooth, it's catchy and it's just a pleasure to listen to.

My favorites are: My Old School, Reelin' in the Years, Deacon Blues, FM...

Actually, every single song is awesome.

I say this, however, knowing full well that some people will buy this album and absolutely hate it. It's not your typical sound. Steely Dan has a smooth, jazz-like feel. It's finger-snapping music to be sure, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Personally, I loved it. I knew I would.

No comments: